Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat got into a cat fight and she has a pretty big imbrastion

Customer Question

My cat got into a cat fight and she has a pretty big imbrastion on her head and I have been putting a antibiotic and im trying to put bandage on her head. It started to heal and when I took the gauze bandage off and clean her wound zhe scratches at what do you suggest?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has she had this wound?
Is the wound gaping or just a graze?
What antibiotic are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has had this problem for 3 weeks I have put a guaze on it and taped it on withcurad tape and gua
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have put antibiotic cream jell on the inbration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A triple Antibiotic ointment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, it sounds like your supportive care has been reasonable. That said, we do need to stop bandaging the area. Covering cat wounds with bandages locks in moisture and increases the risk of this festering. And this may be why it has not healed after this time frame. Therefore, it would be best to leave it open to the air but placing an e-collar to keep her from scratching the area. (And an e-collar is the best option to keep her from self-trauma since otherwise we'd have to keep her nails short and make her wear baby socks over her feet).
Otherwise, just to touch on the cleansing aspect of wound care. We tend to cleanse the area with a mild diluted antiseptic (either chlorohexidine or iodine, both should be diluted to a weak tea like color) or salt water (1tbsp to a pint warm water) 2-3 times a day. It should be gently but thoroughly dried afterwards. You can then apply your OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment, etc). Do avoid the creams with topical numbing agents (since these can be toxic for cats).
Overall, this would has been present for much longer then it should be. Generally speaking, cats can usually heal wounds of this nature within a week. It does sound like Hanna is in part to blame with her scratching but I do also suspect that the bandages are not helping. Therefore, we need to get an e-collar on her so that we can leave this open to heal and dry out. You can use the above supportive care and we'd expect this to heal for us. If it does not, then you would need your local vet to dispense oral/systemic treatment (ie Noroclav since this is safe to use with pregnancy) to clear any infection and help get this healing properly.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this hurt the kittens?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
It should not hurt the kittens, as long as we can get this healed quickly. If it is allowed to keep festering, then the bacteria could get into the blood stream and there would potentially be a risk to those wee kittens. So, we need to get this settled as quickly as possible. So, again if we don't get it settled in a week with the above, we'd want her to see the vet for additional treatment to settle this quickly.
All the best, *****
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )