Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cat is 17 and recently stopped eating cat food of all kinds.

Customer Question

My cat is 17 and recently stopped eating cat food of all kinds. For 2 months I've feed him beef, chicken and fish. He is not eating that as well. He's lost a lot of weight but still moves well. Today he has blood in his stool. At this time I am financially unable to go to the vet. I want to make him feel better.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
I'm sorry no expert has jumped in to answer your question but I am afraid that we do not have good answers for you. This sounds like a crisis situation for Howard and I am really worried about him. I can certainly give you some hints for what you could try over-the-counter but based on what you report I am afraid he is contending with something serious. His symptoms, unfortunately, are vague (not eating, blood in stool, weight loss) and could indicate any of several possible causes ranging from organ failure (liver, kidney) to chronic pancreaitits to ingested foreign object that is trapped in his system to constipation (which is really not a primary problem but a sign of dehydration) to cancer.
What would be in Howard's best interest is to see his veterinarian immediately, at least for an exam and some fluid therapy for rehydration. If you have a budget and financial constraints you could communicate this to your vet (we are pros at working within a budget and appreciate knowing this up front) and then you can figure out if it is possible within your budget to do any of the needed testing to narrow down what is going on (lab work, X-rays) or if there might be prescription medication to help in addition to fluid therapy (under the skin or intravenous). Prescription medication is going to work much better than anything you could get over-the-counter.
At home about the only things you can do are continue to tempt him to eat. Try people baby food of the pureed varieties and canned meat products (tuna, salmon, etc).
If he was my patient and you were unable to have him in today I might recommend you try Pepcid AC (famotidine) at one-fourth of the over-the-counter 10mg tab every 24 hours for nausea. IT might help and has no side effects to contend with. But an exam really is idea before using any medications on him.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.