Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Can a neuter male cat keep a unspayed female cat happy sex

Customer Question

can a neuter male cat keep a unspayed female cat happy sex (she has a one valve heart condition)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now many neutered males will lose their interest in female cats and therefore won't react or try to mate an unspayed female in heat. So, a neutered male cat could not be relied on to do so.
Though for those that would potentially mate a unspayed female cat that is season (or in cases where the cervix is manually stimulated with a sterile probe), this would not necessarily be advisable or of benefit. If it had any effect, then as the stimulation leads to ovulation, we could see her instead develop a pseudo-pregnancy. This could give you peace and quiet for 4-6 weeks, but it will take a toll on her body (as it wasted her resources on developing milk and uterine development). This could also potentially increase her risk of pyometra (uterine infection). As well, we usually will then see a new heat 1-2 weeks after the pseudo-pregnancy ends, so we'd be back to square one for Oreo.
So, overall a castrated male will be of debatable and variable assistance here. And even with that kind of stimulation, we could see other issues arise to cause more harm then good for wee Oreo.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.