Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

10 year old cat with upset stomach and cramps. Does not seem

Customer Question

10 year old cat with upset stomach and cramps. Does not seem dehydrated but when I give water makes worse. Not eating and listless.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How long has this been going on?
2- Can you describe what you are seeing as cramps?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was a little listless yesterday but still up and moving. I noticed the cramps today. He just kind of moans a little an clenches his stomach. He doesn't seem to be in pain when I poke around his stomach.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is he vomiting? If so, how often?
2- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vomiting. He weighs upwards of 20 lbs (estimate).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did pee on the floor yesterday. The boxes were dirty and I changed the litter thinking that is why. Does that maybe help?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, water should not give cramps. If he is experiencing gastrointestinal disturbances there could be another problem that may be apparent when he drinks. This is what you can do:
1- Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to have cramps or not eating after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible he might have a UTI since he was peeing on the floor? He's never done that before.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Has he been using the litter box more frequently or straining to urinate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure because I work. I just caught him a couple of times yesterday.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
If he is moaning when you touch his belly it is possible he could be a urinary tract infection or inflammation in the lower urinary tract. This can explain why he may be cramping and not eating. I would have him checked by family veterinarian in the morning. If he becomes lethargic or straining constantly this means he is blocked (unable to urinate) and should be seen by ER veterinarian immediately, do not wait.
Please reply if you have additional questions.
Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Becky,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter