brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

Our cat was diagnosed with diabetis and was started on 1/2

Customer Question

Our cat was diagnosed with diabetis and was started on 1/2 unit of Prozinc U40. The dose was increased to 5.5 units and the blood glucose level went down to an acceptable level. For no apparent reason the blood level shot up to over 400, then dropped to between 20 and 30. At the same time our vet thought there was weakness in one leg and attributed that to arthritis and prescribed 2 capsules a day of Cosequin.
Two questions: Could pancreatits be the cause of the unstable glucose levels and can the Glucosamine in Cosequin have an effect on glucose levels?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Yes, other diseases can cause trouble when trying to keep a cat regulated on insulin. These conditions can include pancreatitis, urinary tract infections, dental infections and inflammatory bowel disease, for example.
I recommend having him tested for pancreatitis, checked for dental problems, and having his urine cultured to look for a UTI.
In terms of your second question, no, Cosequin will have no effect on blood glucose levels.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.