petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog of old age isnt eating, i bought canned food, she wont

Customer Question

my dog of old age isnt eating, i bought canned food, she wont eat that now. She seems to like the canned cat food. Ive had her on beneful dry food for a long period of time. After a cat passed away it seemed like the dog took up her symtoms.... (puking and runny stolls)
She likes to lick the empty catfood cans but since I bought canned dogfood she wont eat it...........aany suggestions
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Missy today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
..........
Whenever an older age dog starts to refuse food, it could be a symptom of something more serious. Metabolic disease, like kidney or liver, can lead to anorexia and vomiting as well as other GI signs. I also worry about the possibility of GI cancers as a cause of her symptoms. I would not let her eat a significant amount of the canned cat food as it is higher in fat and can further aggravate her GI system. Another possibility could be a dental disease and that is why she was preferring the canned food initially.
......
I would strongly advise you to have Missy examined by your vet as soon as possible. After a thorough exam, they will be able to better advise you as to what additional testing may be needed.
........
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z