helperDVM
helperDVM, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal and exotics veterinarian.
76789122

My ferret is 7 years old and started breathing rapidly and

Customer Question

My ferret is 7 years old and started breathing rapidly and clwing at the roof of his mouth, while salivating. Is he dying of old age? He's been generally healthy except for a skin lesion on his face which has been getting better.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
While this could be your ferret dying it sounds more like there may be something going on in the mouth. Ferrets can be naughty and frequently have things they are not supposed to in their mouths! Scruff your ferret (pinch the skin on the back of the neck) until it yawns and take a good look inside! Another thing it could be is periodontal disease. A rotten tooth could be loose and painful. My own ferret had cancer on his face that had spread to the bone - it is worth taking the little one to the vet ASAP.