helperDVM
helperDVM, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal and exotics veterinarian.
76789122

My 12 year old cat supposedly had pancreatitis, which she is

Customer Question

My 12 year old cat supposedly had pancreatitis, which she is prone too, and had had several times. Always recovers with day hospitalization as I don't like to leave my babies alone. I had 1die because no one was there to monitor her over night! My cat has gotten worse and on Thursday, my 3 rd visit in 8 days a Vet, young, New only one available told me he mouth force fed John Boy Hills I'D, and told me to do same, he also upped his dosage if appetite stimulant and made it into a suspension. Right after I mouth force fed him, he also ate good on his own for first time in about a week, and I gave meds, he started meowing, and acting very agitated, biting, rubbing at blankets. So today I went back, and got 1if the 2 Vet's I like. She said he was blind, which I had already thought also. And that he had Hepatic Encephalitis. So I have him with me in bed, he was given a medicine that starts with " M" for this illness. He urinated on couch last night and just now on towel on bed. I'm praying he makes it through the night and am taking him back tomor fir fluids and support care. Do you think he'll be blind forever, and dors he have a chance at this stage. Thank you so much,***@******.***
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cat is a 12 year old male! He had urine shooting straight out, a few days ago, didn't hit box even though he was in it, and is meticulous, never goes outside if box. But after amoxicillin it stopped, he only did that twice. Vet changed his antibiotic to baytril a few days ago! His ultrasound looked good he Saud, except for an enlarged lymph node by pancreas! Super chem was pretty goid, liver values good, and pancreas, which is hard to judge he said from blood work looked good too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where's my answer! Said Vet's online now! An hour ago! I was hoping for some positive advise perhaps, so I could sleep! Live in NJ!
Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay! YES some of these guys can regain his site. Encephalitis is VERY hard to reverse though. Keep at it and if he isn't already on steroids ask for it! This has been shown to decrease swelling around the optic nerves and can help the site return! Good luck with your ill kitty!