Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Our kitten has a cloudy/brownish colored

Customer Question

.Our kitten has a cloudy/brownish colored spot on his right eyeball. He has also been crying/meowing a lot today. When I take a picture of it with the flash on, his right pupil looks solid white while the left looks completely normal. I've taken a few pictures and it turns out the same every time. He is approximately 6 months old and we just had him neutered last week. Is this something I should take him to see our vet for immediately or will waiting until Monday be ok?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message + Checklist for Your Vet Visit. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I can't correspond with you outside of this venue. The photo was helpful, however. To answer your question directly, you can wait until Monday unless that eye is worsening and, in fact, blepherospasm (squinting) arises which would indicate a painful eye. A complete ophthalmic exam is necessary. There appears to be a collection of red blood cells in the anterior chamber of the eye (hyphema) which has many different etiologies in cats. It's often due to uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) and uveitis can arise secondary to the feline leukemia and feline infectious peritonitis viruses but often remains idiopathic (unknown cause) in cats. The pupil change may be reflecting pathology in the back of the eye which would also be consistent with retinal involvement with those viruses.
I regret that I can't be more specific for you from here. I, too, would need to closely examine that eye. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.