Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 4 year old male cat is trying to urinate at least once every

Customer Question

My 4 year old male cat is trying to urinate at least once every 60 to 120 seconds. Each time small amounts of urine does pass, but he is definitely straining. There is no blood. He is not yelling. He is eating and drinking some but less than normal. He is oeeing everywhere but the litter box. Symptoms started yesterday evening that I noticed. Same symptoms, but at one point he lost all control and a rush of urine was released on the bed around 11pm. He does not seem to have had a full void of the bladder since. He is passing a normal amount of feces and does not seem to have any problems there.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. Hi I am sorry, your requested Expert has been unable to respond, I will be working with other Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Camille - Mod
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It was exclusively requested which precludes my accessing it which was particularly unfortunate because any stranguric (frequently attempting to urinate little or no urine) male cat should be considered an emergency and attended to by a vet at your earliest convenience.
These cats are suffering from idiopathic (unknown cause) cystitis (inflammation of the urinary bladder) the great majority of the time and this urinary disorder can be life-threatening because the bladder can form considerable amounts of grit and mucus which will glom together to form "plugs" of that material which then obstruct a male cats urethra. If a cat can't urinate for as little as 36 hours, renal failure is sure to arise.
Please give me an update on Mr. Darcy.