Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

With saddle thrombus would the cat have tremors

Customer Question

with saddle thrombus would the cat have tremors. Kittens about 7 weeks old...all 4 from the litter have the shakes and cannot stand or move.

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Were they diagnosed with saddle thrombi (which would be uncommon in all the kittens at once)?

Were they normal initially and then developed these signs? Or have they had tremors from the start?

Even though they cannot stand, can they move their back legs voluntarily? Can they feel if you pinch their toes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The mom a barn cat was found dead

I have not got them yet saw a video

only one had the shakes

they would stand in the beginning but would fall over

they all eventually got the shakes

no diagnosis yet

they can move their legs but their toes are cold to the touch

They are being transported,***** to me. They are currently being syringe fed. They try to eat on their own, but make a big mess and don't get much.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Kathy.

Could you post the video you have on YouTube or a similar site and paste the web link here for me to see what you are seeing?

Now if they can physically moved their legs, then a thrombus or paralysis is unlikely. I would be more suspicious that the coldness of their legs may be due to poor perfusion with their being collapsed. Furthermore, as I noted before, thrombi are a rare event and we'd not expect to see this in multiple kittens all at once (not to mention it is more common in elderly cats with heart issues). So, this doesn't fit with what you are seeing with these kittens.

Instead, especially as we had tremors in one kitten from the start, I would be most concerned about these kittens' cerebellums. This is the region in the brain that is responsible for allowing them to stand and move normally. We can see damage to this region (and death of mum) related to feline parvovirus, feline infectious peritonitis, and feline leukemia virus. Other concerns would include bacterial meningitis, protozoal infections,a nd a wee bit less likely, head trauma or parasitic cysts. With all this in mind, if their signs are worsening, then we do have to be concerned that the degeneration in their brains are progressive and their prognosis is guarded.

Overall, the situation and signs are not suggestive of a saddle thrombus in this case. Instead, we'd be more concerned about viral or infectious agents targeting the cerebellum region of these kittens' brains. If you can post that video for me to check that would be grand, but these would be our concerns with what you have described for these little ones.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you...I cannot understand all of them having FIP at the same time, I would think that is unusual too. You have been very helpful.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,

I agree that FIP often only affects a few in a litter, but I have seen a few situations in very young kittens where all are affected at once (possibly a particularly virulent strain of virus). In any case, we would hope this wasn't the cause of their signs. Otherwise, those other viruses and our bacterial agents would be higher on our lists under the circumstances.

Please take care,

Dr. B.