Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I am going to call my vet when they reopen but I'm concerned.

Customer Question

I am going to call my vet when they reopen but I'm concerned. My male cat a 3 year old sphynx has been on antibiotics once a day for 3 days now for a possible UTI. The urinalysis revealed protein and blood. No crystals. The culture isn't back yet. The vet felt his bladder and said it was all good no sign of blockage. My question is he's still going into the litter box constantly like a UTI he does produce urine in small amounts. It may be larger amounts but he doesn't hold it enough to get large. The blood has cleared up. He's acting normal and eating and drinking fine. The only other thing is licking of his genitals. My question is when should I start to see improvements and is there something else i should have my vet check?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Based on your history, it does sound like Odji is improving but the continued frequent visits to the box and licking his genitals tell us that he is still uncomfortable and his bladder is still inflamed secondary to this infection. Therefore, when his vet is open, do consider ringing to request that they dispense a kitty safe pain relief (ie Metacam, etc). This will reduce the bladder soreness and inflammation and should get him more comfortable while the antibiotics continue to fight the infection and get him back to normal.
Overall, it does sound like he is improving from the infection side of his situation but that he still has quite a bit of inflammation and thus discomfort. Therefore, we'd want to tackle that discomfort for him to ease those signs and help him feel comfortable while treating the infection.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So is it normal that he's still having all these small pee. They are less but I'm starting to worry
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Cystitis in all species (cats and people) will cause irritation leading to frequent need to pass urine even when the bladder is not full. The only time we'd be worried would be if he was straining but passing no urine at all (since that would raise worries of blockage). So, small pees mean he is irritated and the medications I mentioned will help with that. But if we ever have no urine when he is trying to go, then we'd want him seen urgently.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Abigail,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After six days of antibiotics he seems to be much better with the symptoms
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your update,
I am glad to hear that he is feeling better.
Keep up the good work,
Dr. B.