Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Is it ok to sit with cats in the hours leading up to birth?

Customer Question

Is it ok to sit with cats in the hours leading up to birth? I
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. When a cat is getting ready for birth of her kittens, how much social interaction or privacy they want will depend on the individual cat. If she is ok with being social, then it wouldn't seem bad to sit with her for a bit of time. Do realize that a lot of cats want to be in private areas when they are actually birthing the kittens and at these times, it should be respected and letting nature do its thing would be best. I find that at times owners can be too "involved" in the birthing process and actually interrupt the natural progression. You should set up a nice birthing box in a secluded area (closets work well for this) so she can have this area to be in private.
Here is a good link that includes some information about kittens being born that I want you to have.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1738