Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

What does prednisolone actually do with cancer.My cat has a t

Customer Question

What does prednisolone actually do for cats with cancer.
My cat has a tumor in his abdomen which is really big now. he has been on prednisilone for 14 months. I have been giving him tones of natural stuff also.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. My apologies that you did not receive a prompt response, that is likely because your question was waiting for a response from your requested expert and he is not online presently.
Prednisolone is a steroid. We often give it to animals with cancer because it can have several positive effects for them.
Depending upon the type of tumor it may actually shrink cancerous tumors and slow growth as well as spread of the tumor. Two common tumors it has very good efficacy against, at least for a period of time, are Mast Cell tumors and Lymphoma. Unfortunately this effect may not last long, but it is quite helpful while it does.
Prednisolone has an anti-inflammatory effect and often improves the cat's feeling of well being as well as his appetite. These effects are quite helpful in cats that are eating poorly due to the effects of their tumor.
It sounds like your fellow's tumor growth may no longer being controlled by the effects of prednisolone, but as long as it helps keep up his appetite and helps him feel better I see no reason to discontinue it.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.