Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

New born abandoned kitten eating bottle urinating ok quit pooping

Customer Question

New born abandoned kitten eating bottle urinating ok quit pooping took to vet he squeezed fluid out of anal sack had one small bm doing same thing cant poop and swollen is there any hope for this kitten what can I do
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I commend you for taking this wee one on. Still,I must say that I am quite concerned about her current state. It sounds like you have managed to get her to urinate, but this lack of feces and rectal swelling are a real concern. And if her vet just got her to pass a bit of stool, we have to assume the same problem is still an ongoing issue and more intervention is needed.
Now if you are struggling to get her to pass feces and she is appearing to be uncomfortable, straining or bloated, then we do have to consider that there is constipation. This most often is precipitated by kitten replacer formula being a little too concentrated but can be an issue we battle with feeding orphan kittens. (since no matter how good a replacer is, it is never just like mom's).
To relieve constipation in mild cases, you can try diluting their milk a wee bit with boiled (and cooled) water or pedialyte. This can help move everything through the gut and just prevent further blockage. But if she is really struggling or we are seeing straining, then small doses of lactulose, mineral oil or hair ball medication (ie 'Katalax') should be given (about 0.5 ml per feed for 2-3 days should have the desired effect). Do take care if you use the oil, as aspiration will cause terrible troubles we are best to avoid.
If you don't see feces passing after a few treatments with this or if that swollen rectum is severe, then we'd need to speak to her vet about them giving her a gentle enema +/- kitten safe anti-inflammatories to reduce that swelling for her. Because if we can at least clear her out and reduce inflammation here, we should be able to help get her back to passing normal stool and being comfortable.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )