Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I believe our 2 year cat has a fractured right hind leg, is

Customer Question

I believe our 2 year cat has a fractured right hind leg, is there anything I can do for his pain or to immobilize his hind leg
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just wondering if there is anything I can do for his pain right now - I know we could give our dog childrens aspirin when she was hurt can we do the same for a cat in pain
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
While cats can be very sensitive to most over-the-counter medicines, a low dose of aspirin can sometimes be useful in situations like this. The usual amount given would be 5mg per pound of body weight (about half of an 81mg baby aspirin for an average cat).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok they are enteric coated :(( guessing I should get chewable? will aspirin have an effect on the hematoma I believe he has going on in his lower leg? and for the fracture
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
If there's a hematoma, aspirin would probably not be a smart choice, since aspirin can interfere with blood clotting.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, there's no other over-the-counter pain medicine that could be used in cats.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I was worried about, will he be ok eventually and can I splint it or do you believe we will have to bring him in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a nurse by the way so any instruction you can give me I can pretty much handle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just don't have a lot of training in felines
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
I can't really recommend trying to splint a leg unless we know what's wrong / where the problem is. Applying a splint without such knowledge will transfer forces to places that might make the problem worse.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Confinement to a crate or kennel is going to be your best bet to minimize discomfort tonight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I was worried about and why I haven't done it yet, do you think it will heal on its own with confinement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or were you just suggesting that for tonight
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Again, that's tough to know since we don't know what is wrong. If there's a fracture or dislocation, then confinement alone is not going to allow it to heal.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Correct, the suggestion for confinement was to minimize pain and force rest tonight, with the assumption that veterinary care would be obtained tomorrow if the situation has not improved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - thank you
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome -- I wish there was more to be done at home, given the situation, but cats are just so sensitive.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gerilee,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew