Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I'm Randall. I have 2 cats. They were chasing each other

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Randall. I have 2 cats. They were chasing each other and the one hurt his leg. He's limping on it (right rear), but he's jumping onto chairs.

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If Dewey can still jump as you've described, it's unlikely that he has hurt himself significantly. Cats chasing each other can bruise themselves running into things and suffer soft tissue injuries - sprains and strains. Fractures aren't considered in cats such as Dewey. If Dewey were bitten by his housemate, he should be seen by his vet at your earliest convenience in order to prevent cellulitis/abscessation from developing. Please look closely at the affected leg for any break in the skin.
Aspirin (NOT ACETAMINOPHEN) dosed at 10 mg/lb every 48 hours is safe and along with the tincture of time should suffice to normalize Dewey. If you didn't see an appreciable improvement within a week, it would be prudent to have Dewey's vet take a look at him.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.