Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM -13 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
58825837

I woke up this morning and my cat was crying, lethargic and

Customer Question

I woke up this morning and my cat was crying, lethargic and vomiting. I set him up to be as comfortable as possible while I was at work and this evening there is no change.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, this morning, he had a small piece of feces right at his tail.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.
Is Super Cat urinating normally?
Is he holding down the water you gave him?
Does he seem uncomfortable when you squeeze his belly?
Is he having any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure about urination since I haven't been with him the whole day. He is holding down the water right now. No diarrhea. He seems uncomfortable when we gently push on his belly.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
See if you can place him in the litter pan to see if he will urinate or try to urinate for you and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If I put him in there, he will just urinate?
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Some cats will, though some will just jump right back out. I want to make sure that he is urinating as his symptoms could be consistent with a urinary tract obstruction. If he squats to urinate and nothing comes out then this would be what is causing his symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He looked like he was trying to defecate but nothing came out. He was trying really hard. Could that have been him trying to urinate?
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
This definitely could be Super Cat trying to urinate. Constipation is also a possibility though this is quite rare in younger cats. I would be more suspicious that he is unable to urinate. This can be caused by a urethral obstruction. This disorder is unfortunately fairly common in male cats because they have a very narrow urethra. The obstruction can be caused by a stone, mucus, or even a blood clot. At this time if he cannot pass any urine he really should be taken to an emergency hospital right away. The reason why he needs to be seen by a vet right away is that if he cannot eliminate any urine from his body his kidneys will get backed up which can cause kidney failure. This can then lead to heart arrhythmias which can potentially be life threatening.
The vet will need to pass a urinary catheter into his urethra to remove the obstruction while he is sedated. once the obstruction is removed he should feel much better and this will reverse all of the risks to his kidneys and heart almost immediately.
Overall, if he does produce some urine tonight then you could wait until tomorrow to see your vet though i would not wait if he continues to squat in the litter pan without producing any urine at all.
Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were going to take him at 7am if he isn't better. That is when the vet opens. Is that too late?
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the longer he has an obstruction the worse he could get. If he is urinating a little then he should be fine, but honestly if he cannot produce even a drop of urine waiting until tomorrow could be risky. Without examining him, determining exactly how long you could wait is difficult though urinary obstructions in male cats are considered a true emergency therefore my best advice would be to take him to an emergency vet if you have one that is open in the area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi Molly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt