benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian
Experience:  Companion animal medicine and homeopathy.
72094388

My 13yo, 20lb, male cat has been having what I will call penis

Customer Question

My 13yo, 20lb, male cat has been having what I will call penis problems for about 6 months. He howls all night and is hungry all the time, as well as comes over for petting and gets extremely excited(his penis is bright red and comes way out) he has been fixed since the moment the vet said he was the proper age to get snipped. His urine tests positive for blood. The vet put him on Urine SO hard cat food. He has done well with it and has now stopped testing positive for blood in his urine, but now tests positive for white blood cells. About 10 days ago he had 2 teeth removed. I gave him his Clindrops. He is now done with the med and has developed these nasty red raw leatherish looking spots on his body. Some are small, one is about the size of 1/2 a dollar bill. He acts fine. The spots look dry on the outside edges. I took him to the vet who shaved him in order to see these spots properly, he has extremely long hair. The vet doesn't know what it is, we are waiting to see if it continues. At this point it appears to be spreading.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  benedetta7 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this Dr. Benedetta, and I would like to help with your question.
There may be more than one question here, so let me know if I'm answering the wrong one.
Regarding the howling all night, always hungry and urogenital issues, has Smokie been tested for thyroid levels and other endocrine markers?
Hyperactive thyroid is common in older cats, and can look like what you are describing.
Regarding the skin issues, I do wonder if a) He may have an allergic reaction to the antibiotics, or even the meds used during anesthesia. Or the procedure may have triggered an autoimmune disease like lupus. In either cases, it may be worth trying a short course of steroids, which would be effective both in case of allergy and in case of autoimmune disease.