Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Veterinarian only please!! Please HELP! I have a two year old

Customer Question

Veterinarian only please!! Please HELP! I have a two year old male cat that suffered from a urinary blockage a couple of months ago. When I found him, he was lifeless. I took him to the urgent care vet and they released him to me the following day. After he became blocked again later that day, my regular vet advised euthanasia after a few days of trying to treat him and having him block up again. At the time his phosphorus values were extremely high.
Another vet recommended that I take him to Texas A&M. They treated him for a week and released him. He did fine for about two months and has now been blocking up for the past two weeks. I have taken him to the emergency vet here three times and she has released him the following day, saying that after the catheterization the urine just began flowing. Today he is back to making frequent attempts at urination. He laid down in the litter box, he is acting strangely, but he may be dribbling out some urine. I called the emergency vet, but she said that she wouldn't be able to catheterize him until the morning. She said that if he is dribbling that he is getting some out.
This is my little boy's kitty. I have spent $5300 total on trying to save this cat and I am at my wits end and financial end. I don't want the cat to suffer. Please advise. Should I double up on the steroids medication? Is there anything I can do right now?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are having all these problems with your cat. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
I am also sorry you did not get help sooner with your question.
Is he on any special diets, or medication, to prevent him reblocking?
How much of the steroids is he taking? I don't want to recommend doubling the dose until I know what does he is getting.