Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has red & white

Customer Question

.My cat has nasty red & white scabs on the nape of her neck and dry patches in various places on her fur. She has dry blood patches along the rims of her ears and nose. please help asap. p.s i won't be needing a monthly membership. i need to know what kind of medication to get for her on line, please.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
The first thing to rule out here, is fleas. These are the most common parasites that we see in dogs and cats. Even if we don't see fleas on the animal, they should still be on a monthly preventative. Fleas can move from outside to inside very quickly. All animals should be treated monthly, no matter the situation.
If those are ruled out, then I would consider allergies. The hard part is determining what the allergy is to. Allergy testing is needed to determine this.
If you want to just treat the signs, you could have her on an antibiotic (Clavamox) for staph infections and a steroid (Prednisolone) for the inflammatory condition. This would be a way to treat and see if things improve.
In regards ***** ***** prevention, I would use Frontline or Revolution to prevent fleas.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.