brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My 16 year old cat has been vomiting weeks now. The vet did blood work, all normal.

Customer Question

My 16 year old cat has been vomiting for 2 weeks now. The vet did blood work, all normal. They diagnosed her w/ a kidney infection and prescribed antibiotics. 3 days later, no change. Next they X-Rayed her belly and intestines and said there was a foreign body, possibly a hairball. They put her on fluids overnight and X-Rayed again. The material moved out of her belly. They said "all clear". Today, one day later, she is vomiting and lethargic again. Please help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
How is her appetite?
Is she able to keep down fluids?
Is she losing weight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her appetite is very poor. She drinks a little. She has lost 1 lb since her last visit to vet in March.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has a thyroid condition and takes Methimazole.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Do you happen to have a copy of her lab test results that I could look at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't. The vet said she looked very good for her age and the blood results were very good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They gave her a barium X-Ray Friday. I was concerned that maybe she was constipated, so I gave her a warm water enema. She deficated some. It didn't look unusual. I expected a mass of hair.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
OK. For chronic vomiting in a geriatric cat, I am concerned about pancreatitis, IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), or GI lymphoma.
At this point, I would like to add a specific test for pancreatitis (fPL) to the testing that was already sent to the lab. This is not routinely included in most chemistry panels, so there is a good chance this was not checked.
If increased, she has pancreatitis and we can begin treating.
If normal, she does not have pancreatitis, and I would like to move forward with abdominal ultrasound as the next diagnostic step.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does IBD come on suddenly because she has never had digestive problems?
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the onset of clinical signs can be sudden. A full GI panel (TLI, PLI, cobalamin) may also be helpful to detect other concurrent issues such as a B12 deficiency.