Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My outdoor 10 year old cat is not eating and vomits when I

Customer Question

My outdoor 10 year old cat is not eating and vomits when I give him water or milk. He has lost a lot of weight and this has been going on for 2 weeks. He yell and leaves the food after a few bites. I thought he had problems with a tooth, when I look in his mouth his teeth looks ok. Can you tell me what is wrong.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This sounds quite concerning for Max. You sound to be doing a great job taking care of him; trying to get food into him. Good thought to be teeth, and this is certainly possible. The type of dental lesions cats get (resorptive lesions) are very painful and often not visible (beneath the gums) but this is very rare to cause a cat to stop eating and would not lead to vomiting. Unfortunately his symptoms are vague and could reflect one of a long list of potential issues ranging from organ issue (liver failure, kidney failure) to pancreatitis to endocrine disease (hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus) to inflammatory bowel disease to intestinal parasites to infection (bacterial, fungal) to cancer.
I really wish I could narrow down this list and give you and exact diagnosis, but I would need to perform an exam followed by some testing (as your veterinarian will need) to narrow down this list. This testing would include a CBC, chemistry profile, thyroid screen and urine check +/- fecal analysis and X-rays. With that information we probably could identify the cause.
So, the best for Max is to schedule an appointment tomorrow for him to be seen. In the meantime, continue to tempt him to eat with his favorite foods. You are welcome to try an anti nausea medication such as Pepcid AC (famotidine) at a dose of 5mg (half of the 10mg tab) every 24 hours. This might help the vomit and improve his appetite. There are no side effects to anticipate other than concern he may not keep it down long enough for it to work, since he is vomiting.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.