dvs1986
dvs1986, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Obtained doctorate of veterinary medicine. Currently working in Michigan at a small and large animal clinic.
75896157

My cat has a hard lump on the side of his cheek near his

Customer Question

My cat has a hard lump on the left side of his cheek between his ear and his jawbone. It is hard. He has scratched it and it is slightly bleeding. It appeared two days ago very small. He has scratched all the hair off of it and he is lethargic and the area feels warm to the touch. He is a gray tabby cat according to what I looked up. He was a stray so I am guessing since he has grown a little that he is close to a year old.

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  dvs1986 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Van and I will be glad to help answer your questions today!

This sounds like an abscess. Does your cat go outside or are there other cats in the house. These abscesses commonly form when cats get in fights at either bite or claw and this causes bacteria to be planted deep in a wound. This wound heals over on top but the bacteria proliferate underneath and cause an abscess to form. Other causes of this could be a bug bite or getting poked by a thorn, etc.
The best thing to do here is have a vet lance the abscess and flush it out with an antiseptic solution or sterile saline. Your pet is lethargic due to it having to fight off this infection and is bothering it because it is painful to him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes my cat is an inside/outside cat who sometimes gets into fights with other cats. Last night he came back inside and the wound had popped open probably from him scratching at it. We cleaned it off and it was a tiny hole opening that keeps oozing. I spent most of the night trying to keep it bandaged with some neosporin ointment on it. Finally, I cut off the foot of a sock and just put the top tube part of the sock over the bandaging to help keep it on. He still had it on this morning but it seems like the bump is filling up again with blood. On a good note, he is eating and drinking and seems less lethargic. I am thinking that I should take him into the vet on Monday if it keeps filling back up and oozing blood.

Expert:  dvs1986 replied 1 year ago.
Yeah o it just sounds like an abscess. Bring him to a vet on Monday and they will likely flush it and get some antibiotics to help it heal quicker. This is very common and shouldn't be a big deal. Hope everything goes well at the vet's! Great to hear he's eating and drinking well!
Expert:  dvs1986 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Beth,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

dvs1986