Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 13 year old cat has suddenly started to urinate outside

Customer Question

My 13 year old cat has suddenly started to urinate outside if the litter box. What can I do to get him to start using it again?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Typically the cause of sudden decrease in using a litter box especially in cats over 10yrs of age is a urinary tract infection. Cats who have been using a box properly that now urinates improperly often has discomfort in their bladder. The sudden stinging sensation that comes along with bladder infection or disease causes a sudden need to urinate right away (which is why the foil is not working) and often causes the cat to associate a painful bladder with the litter box. A quick urine test by the vet can determine if it's sterile inflammation, an infection or urinary crystals causing the problem and then prescribe the proper treatment. Once the discomfort goes away 95% of affected cats start using the litter box again right away. I hope this helps, best wishes.Dr. Dan