dvs1986
dvs1986, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Obtained doctorate of veterinary medicine. Currently working in Michigan at a small and large animal clinic.
75896157

My year old male cat is running a fever of 103.6 very lethargic

Customer Question

My year old male cat is running a fever of 103.6 very lethargic no obvious signs of trauma just very sickly what do you think I should do. Hes symptoms came on very sudden he was fine yesterday can e help me.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  dvs1986 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Van and I will be glad to answer your questions today!
Does Titan go outside often? Are there other cats in the house that do not get along with Titan?
One thing I am concerned about here is a cat bite. When these cats get in fights, the bite wound is often very small and hard to find. These cats get sick and develop a fever. Over time, the bite wound turns into an abscess and is eventually able to be seen.
There are certainly other causes of an infection causing fever and lethargy in cats, however in these younger ones, it is usually some sort of trauma like a cat bite (as opposed to a kidney infection, urinary tract infection, etc.).
I would bring him to a vet to get checked out and to get him some much needed support. They will likely get him some antibiotics as well as some antiinflammatories to take down the swelling and make him feel better. Fluids and B vitamins may also be necessary to help him convalesce.
So I think with a fever this high and lethargy, his best bet is to go to a vet for an exam and medication.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have searched his whole body for signs of a wound and i can't find one my main concern of course is feline leukemia could that be a factor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  dvs1986 replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I am not set up to do live phone calls, but I can continue to discuss this case further with you online here!
This wounds can be very very tough to find (if there is a wound) until they have gotten bigger from an abscess forming.
Feline leukemia or feline immunodeficiency virus are definitely possible. In these cases, it is still an infection somewhere, but he is just not able to fight it off because his immune system is compromised. A vet can take a small blood sample and test for this.
How long have you had him for? Did you find him as a stray or get him from a breeder or somewhere else? Is he still eating and drinking well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We got him off craigslist when he was 5 weeks old. I just took his temperature again and it was 104.5 he is also walking wobbly. Yes he is eating and drinking some.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was doing a little research on feline leukemia and found info on the cats third eye lid well titans third eye lid is really noticeable and his lymph nodes are definitely swollen.
Expert:  dvs1986 replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
A temp of 104.5 is quite high and this pet should be brought to a veterinarian for treatment ASAP! The lymph nodes can be swollen for quite a few reasons including just a normal infection of any kind. The third eyelids can mean an upper respiratory issue may be involved as well. This little guy needs to be seen by a vet to get some treatment!
Expert:  dvs1986 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Laura,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

dvs1986