Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

Our thirteen yr. old, male Yofkie, Frodo, has a weepy left

Customer Question

Our thirteen yr. old, male Yofkie, Frodo, has a weepy left eye. There is a lot. Of thick crust covering it at this time, but where part of it has come loose it is very red and raw, we are just using neosporin on it right now ,to loosen it, but is there something better to use to help it heal?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is not a cat, and I misspelled his breed, he is a Yorkie,, about 9 lb.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
The doctor this question was originally for is not available but I would like to assist. My name is*****
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
My primary concern is why the eye is weeping. If the underlying cause is not addressed, the discharge will continue to come back. Neosporin can help the skin in the area but should not make contact with his eye. If he is having a health issue with the eye itself that can cause discharge, his eye needs to be examined.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
There are multiple reasons for eye discharge. The most common reason for such a sudden and dramatic change in discharge around the eye, especially with one eye is an injury to the surface of the cornea. The most common injury is a superficial scratch or poke and the response by the eye can be very dramatic. As a natural protective mechanism, the eye produces excessive discharge to coat the corneal surface (front part of the eye) so further damage does not occur. The way to detect a scratch or poke on the eye is for a veterinarian to perform a special stain and look with a light. Any break if the surface of the eye will pick up the stain. The stain is then washed out and you will be sent home with an ointment or drop to apply to the eye a few times a day. This process if very quick and painless. Another possibility is an infection in the eye. This can also occur suddenly. In this case, an ointment with an anti-inflammatory is used to reduce the inflammation and with an antibiotic to clear up the infection. Your veterinarian will typically do the staining first, to detect any wound, and then prescribe the antibiotic/anti-inflammatory ointment if no scratch is found. It is not safe to use an anti-inflammatory in the eye if a scratch is present so the stain needs to be completed first. Lastly, dogs with "dry eye" have lots of discharge around the eye but this is more common with certain breeds (pugs, shih tzu, bulldog) and will older aged dogs. It also doesn't typically develop overnight. Tear production can also be assessed with a little paper strip to measure the tears at the veterinarian. This may be completed at a later time if the discharge continues despite the above treatments.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Eye injuries can progress quickly so it would be best to have it assess as soon as you are able -- especially if he holds the eye closed or if the discharge returns once it is cleaned away
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Hello! I wanted to check in and see how Frodo was doing at this time. I saw the question was still open.