Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a kitty that is about six months old..Yesterday when

Customer Question

I have a kitty that is about six months old..Yesterday when he did not come when I called I found him in the barn very listless with a bit on his neck which appears to be a non poisnonous snake bite..I have kept him covered and have given him water through a dropper but he is still very weak and does not seem to have any strength in his legs..Will this just run its course or does he need medical attention?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Is he oozing from the wound?
2- How many milligrams of aspirin are you giving and how often?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Can you take his rectal temperature?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was oozing last night but seems to have stopped..Not sure of milligrams but crumbled half of asparin and gave over a period with water..he weights about 5 lbs and I dont have a thermometer to take temp

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Sandy, it sounds like he may have an infection (abscess) and for this reason he is lethargic. It is also important that you do Not give anymore aspirin, it is very easily toxic to cats. I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with a veterinarian, he will need oral antibiotics. In the meantime this is what you can do:
1- Do not let him lick the wound or medication below.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.
3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sandy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter