Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

Glucose went from around 66 to 177. What are the usually

Customer Question

Glucose went from around 66 to 177. What are the usually causes of such high GLU? How deadly is it? Thanks

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.
For a cat, 177 one time is most likely due to stress and not diabetes. This stress reaction is normal for cats in stressful situations. . .like having blood drawn at the vets. When we get blood glucoses back even in the 200's and low 300's in cats, we pursue a diagnosis by running a fructosamine which let's us know where the cat's glucose has been over the past 3 weeks. If that is elevated, then we know we are truly dealing with a diabetic.
At 177, I imagine your kitty is normal.
Hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have more questions or concerns.
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi...thanks for your answer. Would cancer cause such high glucose value? Which blood test value indicate anemia?

Thanks for your reply!
Cancer doesn't usually cause an elevation in glucose, as it doesn't cause insulin resistance. Also, cancer of the pancreas can cause hypoglycemia (too low), but not hyperglycemia (too high).
The PCV (Packed Cell Volume) or the hematocrit (HCT) are how the percentage of red blood cells are reported. What numbers do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! Can you explain what you mean by "it doesn't cause insulin resistance"? If there is insulin overdose, what are the symptoms?

Do we have values for hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia on the blood test result?

I will look into PCV and HCT tomorrow evening as I will be busy the whole day tomorrow.

You're welcome!
Insulin resistance occurs when an animal is producing enough insulin, but a condition of the body makes that insulin not effective at the cellular level which means the glucose stays in the blood instead of being put into the cells. Stress, obesity, and Cushing's disease are common causes of this. Hyperthyroidism could cause insulin resistance also, but not commonly.
An insulin overdose causes hypoglycemia (too low). The symptoms of this are facial twitching, vocalization, seizures, coma, and death.
Normal values for blood glucose levels are between 80 to 120 mg/dl.
I'll be looking for your PCV and HCT values tomorrow, and if you can get your cat's complete lab profile that may be helpful also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
glucose stays in the blood instead of being put into the cells.
- what does this mean and what is the end result.
What is cushing's disease?
This would lead to hyperglycemia, and the end result is diabetes.
Cushing's disease means that the adrenal glands are stimulated to put excess glucocorticoid (steroid) in the blood stream which leads to insulin resistance. . .glucose stays in the blood instead of going into the cells.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So insulin resistance ends up being diabetes?

You are completely correct!
In people, this is called type 2 diabetes, and they are medicated with pills to make them more susceptible to the normal levels of insulin they are producing.
In animals, especially cats, they can have type 2 diabetes and sometimes we do use oral medication. However, most cats also end up with type one. . .they no longer produce the insulin they need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok.So at least Glu 177 doesn't necessarily mean something fatal.

Exactly!
Stress in cats notoriously causes elevated blood glucose when taken in the veterinary clinic. In fact, this can be such a problem that we encourage and teach owners how to take their cats' blood glucose readings at home to get an accurate level of their blood glucose.
A blood glucose reading done in the clinic of 177 is very highly UNLIKELY to indicate diabetes.
The best test to know if your cat actually has diabetes is a fructosamine test after your cat has been at home for at least 3 weeks in a non-stressful situation. Fructosamine tells us if the cat has been hyperglycemic in a non-stressful situation. If this is up, then she likely has diabetes. . .which is manageable.
You also asked about anemia. Any lab values yet to share?
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I still haven't gotten a chance to...had a busy day. Let me try tomorrow. Thanks,

Totally understand! I'll try to check on you over the weekend. I'll be camping but iPad can go with me.
Have a good weekend!
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much...I hope you have fun with the camping.

Ok here is the extremely low values.

HCT: 6.3

PCV: 17%, 8.6 (clear)

What does it mean?

It means your kitty is extremely anemic! Either your cat is losing red blood cells from bleeding somewhere, is destroying her red cells by her immune cells attacking them, has a blood parasite called hemobartonella delis, or is not making them in her bone marrow.
Did your vet discuss this? Did he/she suggest a course of action?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure the reason of anemia...was guessing cancer. If she is bleeding badly, could she still never have any bloody or black stools?

If she was bleeding into her GI tract, yes. But if she is bleeding from her liver, spleen, kidneys, then no.
Cancer would not be high on my list of rule outs until I ruled out hemobartonella felis, immune mediated anemia, feline leukemia or FIV.
Has your cat had a flea problem? Has she been tested for feline leukemia or FIV.
Your cat may have something treatable!