Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 4 year old cat named Charlie has developed a few "habits"

Customer Question

My 4 year old cat named Charlie has developed a few "habits" that are quite concerning. Lately, he has wanted me to go down the basement and take him to his litter box. When I am not home he manages on his own but if I am home it's another story. Charlie is now waking me at 4:00 am to be fed. If I try to ignore him he begins scratching the walls. I've tried to close the bedroom door at night but that upsets my other cat and she meows till I let her in. Two minutes later she cries to go our again! It's disturbing enough right now but in two week I am scheduled for a knee replacement. Since I live alone I won't be able to cater to Charlie and it has me worried about how I will manage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Gail
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Charlie has developed some concerning habits and I can see that these would be a problem for you, especially when you have knee replacement surgery.
I think it's worth starting with a physical examination and a screening blood panel for Charlie. Changes in behavior and appetite can indicate an underlying illness. Even if he seems otherwise normal early diabetes may be a problem for him as one example.
Is it possible to put another litter box on the first floor of your home? Perhaps something scared Charlie when he was in the basement and thus his need for you to come with him. By giving him another option at least for a while he may get past this. He is young but if he is overweight perhaps stairs are a problem for him, perhaps he slipped on them and is afraid to go up and down on his own now.
If his blood tests are normal it may help to use a timed feeder so that you don't have to get up and feed him. See this link for an example:
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/sp-timed-cat-feeder/276649221.html?listingId=382734392&sclid=pla_google_Spincentralcity&adid=29963&gclid=CMzwztT7r8UCFQcOaQod4B8A2w
You don't have to feed him much at 4am, just a snack or treat may satisfy him.
Please let me know f you have any further questions.