Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 10 lb 11 yr old Persian has suffered from stress fevers

Customer Question

My 10 lb 11 yr old Persian has suffered from stress fevers since a kitten only when taken to the vet. The vet has prescribed 5 mg. of Torbutrol tablet prior to visit to relax and keep temperature at bay. He's a house kitty with no other health issues. Sometimes meds don't work on him or he has the opposite expected result. Tomorrow is his annual check up with a new vet 40 minutes away. He needs to be shaved and bathed. I usually stop vaccines at age 10 as I see no reason for the necessity at this point and reactions seem eminent with all my Persians for 20 years now. When should I sedate him before leaving the house? I'm not willing to risk a seizure or the other ill effects of a high fever. They will turn him away if the fever is to high and he runs 102 to 105 degrees. I hate medicating my cat but temporary sedation has always worked in the past and I just can't remember the time table. He tries to fight off the medicine so it may not work or will work 2 hours later. Advice?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thanks for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I would suggest that you give the torbutrol right as you leave the house. Torbutrol only lasts about 45 min so if we are avoiding the fever due to the stress of travel then it needs to be given immediately before getting in the car. If the car is not stressful then give the medicine about 10 min away from the vet so it takes effect before arrival and then lasts during the exam. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan