Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 8 yo cat has rectal bleeding. Not a little A LOT! I

Customer Question

Hi, my 8 yo cat has rectal bleeding. Not a little A LOT! I went into his litter box room and there were several big pools of blood on the floor. I was terrified. She was laying on the floor licking her bottom. The past few days she has been acting really funny. Isolating herself from us, staying in the bathroom, hissing and growling at us when we come near her or try to pet her. She has been eating and drinking just fine and it just started this morning. I have an appt at the vet's this afternoon but was wondering you could give me an idea of what is going on. I am just worried sick! I mean that was a LOT of blood and it was not bloody diarrhea, it was a thick mucous blood. I don't think there was any stool in it.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Did you look at her butt area to see if there any swelling or skin opening?
2- Any vomiting?
3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well we took her to her vet and she had an abscess deep in her rectum that had ruptured! She needed very expensive emergency surgery so we made the very hard decision to have her put down. We just could not afford it.She obviously was in pain for several days. We are devastated but appreciate your willingness to help us. She will be missed. I wished we would have recognized it earlier. We just didn't know that she had been in such pain.Cats are funny that way. We have had about 6 cats in our lives that have blessed us so much. Two that had diabetes and had to be given shots and eventually passed away because of complications from the diabetes. thank you so much!! Blessings, Candace
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Oh my Candace, I am so sorry to learn she was put to sleep. I know how difficult this must be for you. I will have you in my thoughts and prayer tonight. God bless you.
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your kind words. It was very hard to do. Blessings Candace
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome Candace.