Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I have a 18 month old male cat that got shot by someone with

Customer Question

i have a 18 month old male cat that got shot by someone with a 22 in the right front femer had x-rays and they said the broken bone will heal without any support, it just hangs there as he walks we got him contained in his own room and on meds, should we be worried that they will remove the leg or is there some other treatment for this kind of wound.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Emily and would like to have help with your question. There are certain types of bone fractures that can heal without surgery but it will be difficult for me to evaluate if your cat falls into that category without seeing the xray. Most often, surgery is recommended for the optimal healing. If surgery is not an option financially or if the break is a little hairline fracture and the bones are not displaced, then a splint is most often applied to keep the bones aligned. This is kept in place for 4 weeks minimum. Being a young cat, healing can occur quickly. Xrays are repeated at 4-6 weeks and assessed if the splint can come off or needs to be replaced. During that 4-6 week period, the splint is changed on a weekly basis so the skin underneath does not get infected.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Please review this information and let me know what questions I can answer further for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for your help

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any further questions I can help with?