Dr. B. Butler
Dr. B. Butler, Veterinarian
Experience:  I received my doctorate in veterinary medicine from Texas A&M University, and am currently a small animal veterinarian.
76258496

My 13 year old cat who has hypertension keeps defacating on

Customer Question

My 13 year old cat who has hypertension keeps defacating on my chair I sit in every night. Help!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. Butler replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Sorry to hear about your problem! I have a couple of questions - first, does Buffy ever defecate in her litter box, or only in the chair? Does she sit in the chair at other times, or only when she defecates? Does the stool appear normal or is it soft/runny/hard/bloody etc, and does Buffy strain to defecate? How long has she been doing this? Have there been any changes in her life recently - ie, was an outside cat and is now inside, there is a new pet or person in the house, the chair is new, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She actually started a month ago and went twice on my bed but stopped that. Now it's my chair that I sit in every night and she sits with me. She urinates in the box and I've never seen her strain. This has been going on for several weeks and the only change is I got a new job and travel alot. 4 months now. But she does this at night when I'm here too.
Sometimes cats will refuse to use the litter box in response to health problems, such as discomfort defecating or arthritis that makes it painful for her to get off and then back on the chair. I would watch her closely for clues of arthritis - less active than in the past, seems stiff or reluctant to walk or jump, or doesn't jump as high. If she defecates in her litter box at other times and seems to have no problem/reluctance getting on and off furniture, it may simply be a behavioral issue, possibly initiated by your new travel schedule but now habitual. For a strictly behavioral problem you can try things as simple as not allowing her on the chair (you can put foil on the chair so that it startles her when she jumps up), putting her litter box near the chair and gradually moving it back to its usual spot, and spraying Feliway on the chair. I would also use a really good odor eliminating spray such as Zero Odor on the chair - if Buffy can smell her past "activities" she will likely be more inclined to do it again in the same spot. A towel on the chair that can be removed and washed will also be helpful until Buffy stops this behavior.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
You're welcome, I hope this solves your problem! Have a great day

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B. Butler