Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Five-year-old lovable male cat with strange combination of

Customer Question

Five-year-old lovable male cat with strange combination of symptoms: (1) excessive thirst and/or "water addiction" (he just loves splashing it, being in it, getting his head wet, drinking it, playing with it); (2) weakness in hind legs, (3) pulling own fur out, esp. in the midriff section, (4) occasional disorientation. Again, he's a FIVE-YEAR-OLD MALE NEUTERED mixed-breed (maybe DSH and something longer and skinnier). Any ideas? He eats very well but never gains weight. We switched him from a fish-based diet to a land-animal (buffalo) meat diet about 2 months ago and added occasional wet food; this seems to have helped with the hair-pulling, but now in the last few days the weakness in back legs and disorientation seem more acute. He could hardly walk down the stairs yesterday morning. We can't afford a series of expensive tests. Vet thinks maybe some kind of inflammation.
It just occurred to me that it may be diabetes, tho' rare in cats. My family tends to get those rare things :-(
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual? 2- Did your vet do any blood work?