Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My kitten is 5 months he keeps acting like something is

Customer Question

My kitten is 5 months he keeps acting like something is stuck in his mouth sticking his tongue out And he puts up his two front paws as if trying to get something out his mouth I looked didn't see anything. What should I do or what is he doing
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he been doing this?Any access to plants, chemicals, or anything out of the ordinary?Was he chewing on anything before this started?Any drooling, coughing or gagging?Will he eat and drink just now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just started this Morning he ate few treats and some dry food I hAve not seen him drink this Morning yet no coughing, no chewing on anything that I saw between bed time an waking up that's the first thing I thought that he had found something on the floor but no
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** reason for my range of questions is because JJ's signs (the pawing at his mouth, tongue displacement, etc) are what we associated with oral or throat based discomfort or inflammation. This can be triggered by throat obstructions (less likely if he can eat), items being caught in the mouth (less likely after your exam), but also irritation/inflammation from trauma, ingestion of an allergic inflammatory agent that could trigger swelling (ie bees/wasps), dental disease (less likely at his age), or if he has something caught up behind his soft palate. In this case, with the duration of his signs, we do need to tread with care. Since he can eat, I would advise offering soft foods to keep encouraging him to do so. These will be better tolerated if he has any irritation to the throat causing an esophagitis. If he is the kind of cat that may have eaten a stinging insect that could have stung or bitten his throat, you can also consider trying him on a low dose of Benadryl (More Info/Dose). This can reduce allergic inflammation and potentially settle his signs. Do be aware that you will to use a low dose, as this can cause drowsiness in cats. Otherwise, since we can see this due to foreign bodies (ie grass, seeds, bones, etc) being caught behind the soft palate, I would note that you can try to gently dislodge anything there by flushing his nose with sterile saline nose drops (ie Ocean Mist, Little Noses --but avoid anything medicated). When doing this just drop 2-3 drops down each nostril (cats don't like this to see if you can reduce any irritation and/or dislodge anything. Overall, we do have a few concerns for the continued signs or irritation you are seeing. Therefore, do try the above to tackle those conditions that we can. If you do so, but he isn't settling in the next 12-24 hours (or if he is really uncomfortable); then we'd want to consider following up with his vet. They can examine his mouth, treat with cat safe anti-inflammatories (to reduce any soreness or inflammation), and if needed they can also sedate him to examine and remove anything caught behind the palate and fully flush his nose to clear anything caught there. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )