Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Dr. Salkin, things have been good while now,

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Salkin, things have been good for a while now, Anahi has calmed down quite a bit and her and Aneka have even learned to ignore each other. Suddenly today Anahi jumped over me on the couch for no reason attacking Aneka and injuring me in the process,
I locked her in the quiet room for a couple of hours but when I let her out she did the same thing all over again. She is locked up because I am afraid of her. Why the sudden reversion to her behavior?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Some cats will never accept each other either from the get-go or when re-introduced after being parted which in a cat's mind might well be the same as being introduced for the first time. In these cats a formal reintroduction might be necessary. This involves keeping both on a leash, each held by somebody while feeding and playing with them. The idea is to have them associate pleasant times with each other. This can be very time consuming and risky; hence, the need for the leashes and there's no guarantee that you're going to win this battle. I've had owners designate sections of their home for specific cats lest somebody gets injured - either a cat or their owners. Psychotherapeutic drugs might be helpful - both for the aggressor and for the victim in order to blunt the victim's response which inevitably encourages the aggressor. Such drugs would need to be prescribed by their vet. SSRIs such as fluoxetine or paroxetine are often prescribed. Feline facial pheromone diffusers are often suggested - Feliway and Felifriend. Felifriend (and generics) is preferred because it contains the F4 fraction of feline facial pheromone which develops an atmosphere of confidence between cats and "unknown" individuals. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a feliway diffuser, I don't know if you remember me we talked a while back when she attacked me and ensured me very badly when I brought a stray into the house things have progressed nicely since then until today when for no reason she attacked Aneka she then attacked dongalor one of my other cats who's my other most passive cat I'm at a loss as to what to do with her at this point
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Injured nor ensured
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not
Of course I remember you and her redirected aggression. You need to separate her once again just as you've done. You then reintroduce her as you did before but you might try doing this process this time while she's being administered fluoxetine (Prozac) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb daily. We have to become more aggressive in her "therapy".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try anything at this point, things were going good her and Aneka could even sit next to each other. I have no idea what set her off today
...and that's not unusual. It can be a cat two houses away, for example.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ty Dr. I will leave her locked in my bedroom for the time being
That's smart. Keep me posted, please. No need to reply at this time.