Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

There,My cat suddenly developed some stomach pain, and

Customer Question

Hi there,
My cat suddenly developed some stomach pain, and what it seams like a slight bloating. He is not or wasn't doing anything that he doesn't do usually, and ate the food he always does (we also checked the expiration date and for any smell that might mean it's spoiled). He eats pretty much his wet and dry food daily and drinks clean water, and doesn't go out. He is unusually quiet and sleepy and will sound out what it seems like painful sounds, especially if I touch his stomach.
He will also vomit once or twice a day. We change the food sometimes for him but it's mostly the same (brand and type). This did happen after buying some different food to get him on something else a little bit.
Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Thanks
Ps: we do have some spring ants coming out here and there and I'm sure he ate some of them, but where every I read about it and who ever I asked everyone says that this is fine and won't harm him.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You've mentioned that his current apparent abdominal pain is sudden and now he's unusually quiet, sleeping and vocalizing as if in pain. You've also mentioned that he has been vomiting once or twice daily and so I don't know if his sudden symptoms are an exacerbation of whatever has been causing his vomiting or is unrelated to that vomiting. Recurrent and chronic vomiting is most often due to inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in cats and flare-ups of IBD are common and often indicated by nondescript gastrointestinal distress. Because I can't be more specific for you, it would be prudent to have Mishara's vet attempt to clarify why his abdomen has been so active. This is done by performing diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, ultrasounding his abdomen, and even scoping and biopsying the GI tract of these cats if conservative testing reveals only normalcy. Besides IBD, chronic pancreatitis and food intolerance should be considered in such a patient. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.