Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat seems to be swallowing with a little difficulty we

Customer Question

my cat seems to be swallowing with a little difficulty we rubbed his throat and he has tried to spit up. nothing is visable. he is good for chewing grass
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for your cat. It sounds as if he may have a touch of esophagitis or even laryngitis if his meow also sounds different than normally.Certainly, eating grass could cause sufficient irritation for him to develop this problem although there are other possibilities as well. For example, infections such as the early phases of an Upper Respiratory Infections (aka Feline Flu) or inhalation of irritating vapors or post nasal drip.Unless he is showing other symptoms such as lethargy or disinterest in food or difficulty breathing, then a vet visit at this time is not likely to be necessary.I might feed him very soft food so that the throat doesn't become more irritated. I might consider over the the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet twice a day which could help to dry up any secretions if they're contributing to the problem. However, sedation may be seen as a side effect so I wouldn't want you to think he was worsening. I hope this helps and that he shows improvement within another day or so. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
I'm just following up on Max. How is he doing? Deb