Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Cat vomited a few times after eating Bromeliad leaf. What to do?

Customer Question

I woke up to my cat scherzo puking a few times. She hasn't vomited in a good 30 min, so I think it's out of her system. and I noticed each vomit thing was clearer and clearer
I think she ate a chunk of bromiliad leaf and it didn't sit well in her. I think she is fine now, just exhausted from puking so much, like any one would.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 1 year ago.

Certainly any type of plant can cause vomiting and GI upset in cats. Did you see part of the leaf come back up, too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah all of them had leaf particles in them except the last two and they were almost clear fluid. should I go ahead and feed her wet food now? considering she just threw up 30 min ago?
I know cats get most of their water through food , and dehydration is an issue after vomiting.

I would hold off on offering any food for at least several hours--just let her GI system "rest". She is more likely to vomit again if you feed her right away, since her stomach is probably pretty inflammed right now. Do leave water out for her to drink.

In maybe 4 hours I would give her a small amount of canned food--you can mix in a little extra water if you are concerned about dehydration.

Feel her gums, too. If she is dehydrated, her gums will feel dry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks , but no need to bring her to the vet right?

At this point, no I don't think so. Give her a few hours to settle down, then offer her some food. If she starts vomiting again, or refuses food for more than 24 hours or is lethargic, then I would take her to your regular vet. But if she just ate some plant leaves and then threw them up, she should be fine.