Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Can a cat take 4 mg ondansetron at once? My cat is supposed

Customer Question

Can a cat take 4 mg ondansetron at once? My cat is supposed to take 1/2 pill twice day but pilling her has been a nightmare and this is a long term regimen, so i need to establish something doable.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now the maximum dosage that a cat can have at any one time is 1 milligram per kilogram of body weight. So, if your cat weighs at least 4 kilograms or more, then she could have this as one dose every 24 hours. That said, Ondansetron is a drug that you can choose to give once or twice daily as needed. Therefore, if pilling her is a real stress, then just try her on her current dose once daily. If her stomach stays settled, then you do not need to give this every 12 hours. So, I would advise just cutting back to her regular dose once daily to see if that is enough for her. Otherwise, we would need to consider her weight (since cats under 4kg couldn't have the whole tablet in one dose) before adding her two doses together. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )