Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Why has my cat stoped covering her urin in the litter box

Customer Question

why has my cat stoped covering her urin in the litter box /
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are curious as to why your girl has stopped covering her urine in the litter box.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
There can be several reasons for a cat not to cover her waste in the box.This is a learned behavior, and her queen should have taught her to do this. If she didn't then teach her then she may simply not think it is important, and has gotten lazy, and is no longer bothering to do so.If you have multiple cats that share a litter box she may not feel it is equally hers and may be getting in and out of the box as quickly as possible. She may be too intimidated or polite to stay in it long enough to bury her waste. She may bury her waste if she is given her own litter box.She may not like the litter that you are using. Cats that have litter aversion, even mild aversion, will be less likely to spend much time in the box, and less likely to bury their waste. Most cats find scented litters offensive. You may want to try another litter box with a different litter. I recommend plain clay litter or clumping if you are already using plain clay.She may have a low grade muscle strain, or not feeling well in general, and thus be too uncomfortable to bother burying her waste. If she seems to be more lethargic than usual, not eating well or playing much, urinating and drinking more than usual, or refusing to jump up or down then she likely needs an examination to look for an underlying health issue.Let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to rate my response if you find it helpful before you leave the page, thank you.