Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

You help us before with puffy kitty and his

Customer Question

.you help us before with puffy kitty and his paralysis in legs he still can't walk but the Meclazine helps a lot though we would like to know about A cat we have (ghost) can we give him Benadryl for allergies he has them very bad Thank You for your
help sincerely ***** *****
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello Brent, You can give Benadryl to a cat for allergies. It's not a cure, but it can help with the signs. The dose of Benadryl that we use, is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. You can give it every 6-8 hours, as needed. If that doesn't help, then I would try doing a novel protein diet, as many cats have food allergies. I like to go with Royal Canin Duck and Pea in these cats. If that's also not helping, then allergy testing and either immuno-therapy or steroids can be used.