Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 8 week old kitten bit a live wire..his mouth is and

Customer Question

My 8 week old kitten bit a live wire..his mouth is burnt and seems to be pus sing. My vet isn't in until Monday. Is there anything I can do at home now. I can't afford emergency care. Thanks!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years. Can you tell me when this occurred? Did you see him bite the wire? Besides the mouth problems, does he have any other symptoms... such as is he breathing hard?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happened about 15 hrs ago. he doesn't seem to have any breathing problems. Sleeping a lot and doesn't want to eat or drink anything. Yes I seen the kitten get shocked it blow a fuse so glad he is stil breathing.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Electric shock can produce fluid in the lungs so watch his breathing, but it sounds like he got lucky if it has been 15 hours and he is breathing normally. The ulcers produced on the tongues are quiet painful and he probably needs narcotics for them, but I understand that you can take him to the veterinarian to day. You could try some topical oragel... find the kind for infants and try to apply some to the tongue. The other thing that they need is antibiotics.... all that damaged tissue plus the bacteria in the mouth cause and infection. If you don't have oral antibiotics for him you could go to the pet store and look for a mouth rinse containing chlorhexadine. They make them for dogs and cats to improve their breath, but it is an antibiotic and may help. Do those two things for now and get him to a veterinarian for better pain control and antibiotics as soon as you can. I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your quick response! Do we need to be worried about dehydration? We just got the Persian kitten yesterday and probably bc of the new surrounding hasn't eaten or drank really anything.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It is not a big deal to go 12 hours or even 24 hours without drinking if she is not having diarrhea, but if she continues not to drink for much longer it will become and issue. Try the topical treatments and try to get her to drink... use luke warm water. If she's not drinking by later today or tomorrow morning I would try syringing some water into her mouth.