Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog is lethargic and won't eat. Looks like her eyes have

Customer Question

My dog is lethargic and won't eat. Looks like her eyes have a discharge and her nose is wetter than usual. Could she have a cold?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years and I'd like to help with your question. Dog can get viral infections... usually either an intestinal virus or a respiratory infection, more like kennel cough. I would expect coughing or intestinal signs... such as vomiting.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Lethargy and anorexia are very non specific signs that could occur with any number of conditions from simple stomach upset to more serious toxicities, infections, or cancer. How old is your dog? Is she vaccinated? Does she have any other symptoms that could give us a clue what is going on? For example... a fever?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's been completely vaccinated. She's been acting this way for 4 days now. She's a 8 year old shitzu/poodle mix.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
4 days is too long to dismiss this as simple stomach upset. It could still be an upper respiratory infection, but if it's not getting better on it's owner she probably needs to see a veterinarian for a check up and possibly some antibtioics. In the mean time, can you get her to drink? I wouldn't worry a whole lot about getting her to eat, but if you can warm up dilute chicken broth and make sure she is drinking well it may help keep her hydrated and keep her immune system functioning well. If she drinks the chicken broth you can try adding some chicken to it. Any other treatments are going to need a veterinarian and prescription medication. I hope that helps, best wishes. Dr. Stacy