Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I would appreciate a second opinion on my Iill cat who I

Customer Question

Hi I would appreciate a second opinion on my Iill cat who I rushed to cat hospital today
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am looking after my friends cat as I normally do when she goes away. This morning, i came upstairs with the cat (Milo) and went to the bathroom . When i came back i noticed the cat had some lilly pollen on his whiskers that wasn't there a few moments . I took a towel and wiped it off (none on his paws or anywhere else) but he had stuck his nose into some that had fallen off a bunch i had on the table. I had heard that Lillies make cats sick (as in vomiting) so i googled it and was shocked to discover that it is fatal in cats. i took him immediately called and took him to the cat hospital. Between ingestion and the hospital i estimate that it was max of 2hours for the cat. He was not showing any signs of illness at all but i took him anyway. The vet was pretty angry that i didnt know about this (which i completely understand) and took him immediately off to get an IV drip and put him on charcoal. Its now been nearly 12 hours and he is at the pet hospital, he has not been sick - the vet has said his blood work is at the high level of normal which indicates he probably did ingest some pollen but he is not sick yet. I am simply looking for some detail here on how pollen could effect him and how long it will be until he could get ill. I know this is not an exact science but the pet hospital is super busy and i just keep getting conflicting information on the internet. I feel terrible although i know i have done what i can for him. He is a male british shorthair cat around 3 hours old , super healthy and regular sized.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today. Yes, pollen alone can cause acute renal failure.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
So far, the vet has done everything according to plan - charcoal and a high rate of IV fluids. We need to recheck the kidney values after 48 hours as well.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
At that point, we should have a good idea of how serious the problem is. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.