Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My cat was given a test dose of 1 mg of Xanax a day before

Customer Question

my cat was given a test dose of 1 mg of Xanax a day before I fly with him. It has been 7 hours and he still is staggering,having seizure like episodes, and doesn't stop loud crying crying (which he never does...never meows. Should I take him to an urgent care?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry this is happening to your cat and sorry for the delay, there is a little technical issue with the site. What you are describing is a paradoxical reaction to the xanax, can you tell me a little more about the seizures? Is it his whole body or just flicking of his skin? Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A flicking of the skin as well as jerking motions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A flicking of the skin and initially a jerking of the muscles and head
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. That is good that it is only a flicking of the skin, primarily because we don't have to go to urgent care. If he were having whole body seizures for more than 5 min at a time, then we'd have a major problem and urgent care would be needed. This will wear off in most cases a the 12 hour mark but in a few cats can last as long as 24 hours. It is not harmful just disturbing to watch. Clearly do not use any more xanax but talk to your vet about using trazadone or clorazepate. Just because one anti-anxiety med didn't work doesn't mean the others won't. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan