Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat fell on his tail. it is bent at the base. He is still

Customer Question

my cat fell on his tail. it is bent at the base. He is still eating and using the bathroom. He he is hiding out.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Madison's tail seems uncomfortable and bent at the base, but I am pleased to hear that he is still able to eliminate and is eating.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
If he goes outdoors unsupervised another possible cause of his discomfort is a tail pull injury or tailhead trauma.When a cat falls and lands on his tailhead/back of the pelvis or the tail gets caught (by another animal or a car) and pulled hard enough the caudal spinal cord is stretched. Sometimes the nerves are just stretched, but in some cases they break and when that happens the damage can be permanent. Cats may not show the full extent of their injury for several days as secondary inflammation and nerve death occur. Treatment is with steroids and rest.Sometimes with a fall we can see an intervertebral disc protrusion putting pressure on his spinal cord, or a blood clot placing pressure on his spinal cord. If he is having trouble passing urine or stool he should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. But if he is able to eliminate normally I recommend that he be closely confined and then see his veterinarian tomorrow if he cannot be seen today.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
They can examine him and prescribe anti-inflammatories if it appears this is a spinal cord injury.If he seems to be worsening you may want to discuss further testing with your veterinarian as well as referral to a veterinary neurologist for an MRI.Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. Do you have any further questions?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
As an aside if your fellow does normally go out keep him in so you can observe him closely.