Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is walking in circles. Always turning to the left. Head

Customer Question

My cat is walking in circles. Always turning to the left. Head is tilted. Almost seems like it cant see.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has Jesse had these signs? Did he have any recent head trauma or a seizure? Any historical issues with his ears or brain that you are aware of?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Or any other known health issues ?Or toxin access?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today is the third day. No other known issues. We got him about 3 years ago. He had always had trouble keeping food down. We started feeding gentle brand and that is way better. I cleaned out a cabin for a lady and removed some decon. I did see some laying behind my truck that had spilled out. I got rid of it. He very well could have gotten into that. But there is no blood.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have to say that I am quite concerned about your lad.As my line of questioning has likely hinted to you, there are a range of serious issues that could cause Jesse to compulsively circle in one direction, have a head tilt, and possible blindness. Now if we can rule out toxins, ongoing health issues (ie diabetes, thyroid disease, blood pressure issues, epilepsy, etc) and a traumatic injury that could induce swelling or a bleed into the brain, we do have to think about other issues that could cause these signs. Now the majority of his signs (excluding the blindness) are possible to see in cats that have a middle ear infection. My concern though –especially if he is blind as well as should these other signs or appears mentally depressed -- is that we could have a focal brain lesion (on the left side of his brain). This could be a focal area of the brain that is swollen, has been bled into (which could be due to blood clotting issues if he did eat the decon), or has a tumor or growth. And I have to note that in case of all of these, if the lesion is big enough or putting enough pressure on the brain, this could cause central blindness (so brain based despite the eyes actually being normal). In this situation, there are a lot of serious concerns for poor wee Jesse. And unfortunately, there are no home treatments that can really address his situation. It is not an emergency situation (unless he has been exposed to toxins) but it is one that we don't want to leave. Therefore, until your vet opens, you want to restrict him to a small 'safe' area that is quiet and dimly lit. We need to make sure there is nothing he can get caught on (they will sometimes get stuck behind couches, tangled in phone lines, etc) there. If you have a cat carrier or dog kennel, these would be options. If he is in restricted space (perhaps with his cat bed or blankets) he will be able to settle and at least get some sleep (the one time they won't circle and at least get some peace). I wouldn't leave water or food with him but would suggest periodically offering these by hand. Once you have his vet examines him, they will be able to help you determine which of the above concerns are behind his signs. Depending on their findings, they may be able to treat the primary issue or at least trial him on anti-inflammatories to lessen any brain swelling (which may just allay the circling and neurological signs) to keep him comfortable. Please take care,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if he's blind or just confused. If I put my hand in front of him he doesn't raping like he used to. He is stumbling a little too. He looks really dizzy. Always looking to the left.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, It can be difficult to tell. Especially since pressure on the visual part of the brain causes sight loss but pressure anywhere else will cause a reduced mental clarity such that they often end up totally focused on circling. So, it is possible that there is pressure on that region responsible for sight but if there is a lot of pressure arising anywhere else in the brain he may be able to see but not be able to respond to what he is seeing. And I would also note seeing a head tilit, turn, or flicker of his eyes to the left are all signs of this problem being on the left side of his brain. Please take care,Dr. B.