Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Since the past couple of days i notice (it doesn't happen

Customer Question

Hi. Since the past couple of days i notice (it doesn't happen all the time) that my cat goes to the litter box, spends some time, squats for 2 secs and then leaves. She doesn't do it all the time. When she does it i take her to the litter box and she pees a healthy amount. She got an uti 2 weeks ago, was treated witn Convenia and got a second urine sample 2 days ago that shows no sign of infection. Can be a side effect of the taking of the sample few days ago?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Susan, a traumatic "tap" - cystocentesis - is a reasonable consideration. The finding of blood in her urine (hematuria) in the absence of infection would support that hypothesis but the urine would need to be obtained atraumatically; in other words, from her box. You can simply "watchful wait" for a few days because the bladder can heal itself in just a few days. If she normalizes within 72 hours, you'll know that the inflammation associated with her cystocentesis has resolved and was responsible for her behavior. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. She had the procedure on tuesday. That means i need to watch her until sunday?

I would expect her to normalize by the end of Friday. If not, inflammation associated with idiopathic (unknown cause) cystitis which is a sterile cystitis needs to be considered. This is considered to be related to stress - and a UTI is stressful. Most cats will remiss unaided within a week if idiopathic cystitis has arisen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok.thanks! Will keep you updated

Thanks, Susan. I'll watch for your nest post. No need to reply at this time.